10.16.2011

tummy time

tummy time is soooo important. most pediatricians don't stress this enough. even though isaac is past this stage, i still cringe when every gadget i see is aimed to keep babies out of their parents arms and on their backs. two links to learn a little more: link 1 and link 2.

as a teacher i saw kids who had difficulties learning also struggled with the ability to sit still (which most likely was lack of muscle control and lack of attention) they also struggled to skip, hop, balance, differentiate between left and right, etc.

I am not suggesting that you need to be an olympian to be a good learner, i am suggesting that proper stimulation and motor development as an infant and toddler DIRECTLY links to a child's ability to succeed in school. and unfortunately most toymakers only care about making money. So be aware and keep strong from being sucked in by the emotional campaign down the "educational toy aisle" and ooooing and awing over all the gadgets that aim to keep your baby happy and quiet. Remind yourself that those companies are just trying to make money, they don't have your child's long term well being in mind.

2 comments:

Amy said...

So so so true! I have friends who don't do tummy time with their babies just because they cry!...it's terrible! These things really do make a difference!

Tiffany said...

Thanks for your good reminders and the colored crayon balls idea. I seriously wish you lived nearby so I could talk through everything with you and bounce my ideas off of you as I did when we were teaching.