9.04.2012

Let's pretend I blog all the time...

So let's pretend I blog all the time and this is just another normal post because catching up would be too overwhelming.

Tonight as Isaac and I were reading before bed, I really started taking note of all the literacy skills he has and is developing. What is amazing is that these aren't things I practice or really teach him. They are things he learned naturally though reading and conversation.

Some things he knows and can do:

How to hold a book.
The front and back of a book.
How to turn the pages from left to right.
Words and pictures work together to tell the story.
Print carries the message.
Words and pictures are different.
Words can label the picture.
Finger sweep from left to right.
Retell stories based on the pictures.
Retell stories orally.
Make connections and question based on pictures.
Finish sentences, while using picture clues.
Segments words by syllables while "reading."
Sing familiar songs and rhymes.
Create original songs and stories.
Create drawings and writings.
Explain drawings and writings.
Speak in sentences.
Ask questions.
Maintain a conversation.

So even with this list, "real reading" is still a couple years away. But it is fun to see these building blocks are falling into place. And I'm not going to lie, I feel pretty good as a mom and a teacher that I'm giving him a good start :)

1 comment:

Amy said...

So exciting! I love this! It is so amazing how much children can pick up through everyday activities.