10.27.2013

1,000 books by 2014

Lately since Isaac has given up napping, I have been relying on screen time, to get through that middle part of our day. I still monitor, and keep things "educational" but it has now become the normal that he is in front of the tv or ipad at least 1 hour a day. This to say aloud is a little humbling, I still don't like it but right now this is what we do until we can find something else that works.

Also because days and nights get busy and rushed, we also started skimping on bedtime reading. Slowly moving from 3o minutes of reading, to choosing only 3 books, to 1 or no books on really busy nights. 

These two things combined had me feeling just yucky! I am a trained professional in the field of education, I surely know better!! But when did our reading and screen time get out of balance? Well it just happened slowly, little by little, and soon I realized the message I was conveying to my impressionable preschooler was that making time for reading was not as important as other things.

Inspired by a friend and a Pinterest post, I decided that we could make reading a priority again. The underlying goal is that I should be reading to/with my kids for at least the amount of time that they spend in front of a screen. I looked at the calendar and realized that there were about 10 weeks left in 2013. And because I love numbers working out neatly and nicely I decided that we could read 100 books a week for 10 weeks or 1,000 books by January 1st 2014. 

So we have started!! I have a hundreds chart posted in Isaac's room where we put a sticker each time we read a book. I also have the GoodReads app on my phone and we scan the book each time we read it. These two things have helped us so far. Soon I will post an update and some pictures. 

2 comments:

Lacy said...

You are a wonderful mom Emily!

Amy said...

I love everything about this Emily! Reading is the best and I bet Isaac is just eating it up (you too!)!