My theory is that if you just park in the first spot that you see/pass/know is there that it will be good for you. Chances are, it will be a littler further out, but that is best. It is healthier for you plus really most of the time it saves you time.
All that time you may have saved by parking closer, you actually saved by parking a little further away! It takes time to search for a parking spot, to loop around or to wait for someone to get into their car and back out. If you just take a spot that is open there is less time wasted searching and waiting. (and a possible savings of fuel.)
Anxious much? I know that sometimes it can be a little stressful driving in a parking lot. Taking corners and waiting for pedestrians, putting on your blinker before someone else does, or realizing that someone is tailing you as you slowly are inching forward to see if any of the good spots open up. And the worst is when you see a spot open up right after you pass it and they guy behind you gets it, and he hasn't even made three loops around like you have! Aren't you feeling the stress a little already? Parking in a spot that you know is open, relieves all of this stress. No waiting, no tailing, no fighting, no swear-thoughts....
And another bonus, generally when your spot is a little further out you don't have someone else waiting for your spot as you are leaving! That gets a little stressful when you are loading your car, putting kids in their carseats, folding strollers, returning carts while your purse is falling off your shoulder, snacks are spilling, kids are fussing and one hand is tied behind your back! When you are parked further out, cars will pass you and you can calmly go about your business.
So here I am testing my theory and I love it. I am not a very anxious driver anyway, but it has helped me be even more relaxed as I am going to park. And I feel like I am being very efficient with my time. I still try to pick a spot with shade or near a cart return and usually I am able to accomplish at least one of the two. And another bonus is that while others may feel disappointed as they pass an open parking space on the way up to the store, I feel excited because I know I didn't even want that spot!
Yes, I know, I only have one kid. Maybe I will change my opinion and those close spots will be worth the wait someday, but not right now.
So what do you think? Am I crazy or crazy-right? I think that it saves time, takes less emotion, gives you a little extra exercise and helps you feel a little more active in your parking decisions. (and everyone knows I love to have a little more control :)
*because of where I live, all "rules" go out the window when it is dark or in an area that is unfamiliar or unsafe.

1 comment:
I am so with you on this one. I have been practicing this since Blaine and I got married. At first, it was reluctantly, but I have since seen the light. I have two kids and still don't find it necessary to wedge between cars, race to the beat a car, or circle forever to get a close parking spot. I much prefer the one farther away that allows me a stress free exit and entrance to and from car! See you in the back of the parking lot! (and that isn't a threat even though it sounds kind of like one! :)
Post a Comment