When receiving advice about parenting, childrearing, etc. a lot of people say, ”You HAVE to do this” or “You HAVE to get this” and truly what they mean is: This worked for me and I want to share it with you!
So because I want to remember and I also want to pass along to friends who are having their first babies, here is a list of things that worked for me.
1. Bradley Method: It is a natural childbirth method, there is a book and classes. I loved them and felt very empowered with knowledge about how to prepare during pregnancy and childbirth.
2. Breastfeeding: I am glad that I made the decision to do this ahead of time. If I were wishy-washy “I’ll see how it works…” I probably would have quit. But it was absolutely the best thing and I gained even more appreciation for nursing after I finished.
3. Swaddling: Even though some infants fight it at first, that tight-cozy-swaddle is a security that becomes an absolute comfort for both baby and mom.
4. Pacifier: Here is where I changed my vote. I was pretty against “binkies” thinking if a baby is crying, you need to fulfill his needs not just quiet him down. Well let me tell you, “sucking” is a need. Don’t feel guilty when your baby needs a pacifier to calm himself. Now the question of when to get rid of it is totally a different conversation…
5. Music: Dancing and singing have been daily occurrences in our home. I sang to soothe a fussy baby and sometimes that was all it took: a simple song of Itsy-Bitsy Spider. Dancing and swaying in the beginning, bopping and boogieing now. Totally a life saver in the past and now pure joy and entertainment.
6. Reading: At about 2 months old is when I began reading regularly to my baby. I read because my baby loved to hear my voice and it gave me something to say to this little guy. It has always been apart of his life and he sits and listens to books for long periods of time, loves to participate in reading and even has his favorites to read.
7. Signing: I am not really one to be trendy but this is a great one! Baby sign is amazing. It is totally a tool to help you better help you be a better parent to your baby. I didn’t take a class. I read one book that wasn’t very helpful and mostly just used Google. Signing has helped to ease frustration because I can understand more of what my baby is communicating. Because I am looking for signs I pay close attention to his motions, cues and verbal attempts which helps me to reinforce his efforts and maintains a two-way conversation.
8. Solid Food: I know it sounds totally “crunchy” but I totally loved making homemade baby food. It was very fulfilling to make something that was useful, healthy and saved money. I read books like, Super Baby Food and was totally hooked. I also tried to choose Organic as much as possible.
9. Attention: I gave as much attention to my baby as I possible could. I held him. I kept him in a wrap. I always had him near. I picked him up when he cried. I sang to him. I read to him. I talked to him. Anything I could to respond to his needs, to make him feel safe, secure and loved.
10. Tummy Time: Motor development is directly linked to brain development and tummy time is a neuron stimulating festival. Of course it wasn’t love it and leave it, I would spend a majority of his tummy time on my tummy as well. I choose to forgo the Bumbo and stick to floor time, or did variations across my legs or in the football hold.
11. Massage: I wasn’t diligent about this, especially as time went on, but simple lotion time after bath is another “brain booster” and “relationship booster” to get nerves and synapsis firing and to build that connection and a first form of communication as I watched his reactions to my touch.
12. No Juice: Simple but I’m sticking to it. No juice. This is directly from our pediatrician but applies to most babies and young toddlers.
13. Reversible car seat: Keeping him facing rear as long as possible. This means even after he moved out of his infant seat. (Currently the AAP recommends until at least 2 years old or greater if your child has not reached the maximum height and weight limits to ride in the reverse position.)
14. Experiences: When he was younger but even more so now, I try to give my little guy experiences. I let him explore, get dirty, and make messes all in the name of learning as long as it is not dangerous. I let him figure out consequences to dropping things, smashing things, opening and closing and all sorts of things that would/could drive me nuts, had I not let the control freak relax for the sake of his education and development.
15. Ok now the list is really long so I will stop here even though I probably could keep going. Simply put I fed him when he was hungry and loved him up the rest of the time. And pretty much still do the same J Soak it up!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment