
So as I signed the contract for my teaching position, my principal mentioned that I would have to get fingerprinted and show proof of a current TB test. TB test?? I had never had one before, he was surprised but said it was really easy, and I could got to the public health clinic. So that is what I did.
Well it is a good thing Jeremy drove. As soon as I got to the clinic (late) I started getting nervous, they went through this whole run around about the nurse leaving right away and blah blah...really she was still there and it took 60 seconds so no big deal. Well I sat down and Jeremy stood behind me, I pulled up my sleeve and saw the needles out of the corner of my eye, not as small as everyone said.
After some stinging and pain, it was over and Jeremy was like, "WOW, that was the best you've ever done!" We got up to pay and I was still a little shaky and my heart was racing. We got to the counter and all of the sudden I felt the blood rushing. I left my wallet at the counter and let Jeremy finish up as I went to take a seat. Jeremy asked if they had any juice or anything since I was feeling faint. Then a nurse who was just walking through stopped and asked me if I was alright. Apparently I looked deathly ill and everyone could tell. Soon I was being escorted to a room to lay down, given cold juice and a cold cloth for my head.
Medical Anxiety? YES! I always think it is so stupid and I don't want to tell anyone but the nurse told me that I should just be upfront about it because some people just react differently. So after a few minutes of being monitored, some deep breathes and the color returning to my face, I was excused to leave. Not even a big medical procedure and I still spent the night recovering on the couch...maybe I should go see a therapist, or at least get a prescription for Valium!
2 comments:
Wow that is crazy. Glad you are ok. I too have a white coat syndrome and it sucks. Way to get it done!
Wow, I can't believe you have worked in childcare and have never had a TB test either. In Utah, you only have to do one and that is it forever. In Ky, we had to have a TB test every year.
Good job at sucking it up and having it done. that is courageous :)
Post a Comment